The Martin Luther King Day of Service is a wonderful, teachable moment to affirm your support for the values of justice and compassion that ran through the life and legacy of Dr. King.
Directions to USG (Google Maps)
Plan to arrive at USG at 8 am on Monday, Jan. 20.
Coffee and a light breakfast will be served.
The worship service will begin at 9 AM with a short sermon from Rev. Kent Matthies, the Minister at the Unitarian Society of Germantown, and music. Volunteers leave for their projects at 9:30. Projects last for varying amounts of time (from 1 to 6 hours), You can participate in more than one project, depending on your interests and how much time you have available. Projects will be completed by 4 PM. Transportation will be provided where needed. If you can provide transportation for yourself and others, we would appreciate it and will ask you about it on the pre-registration form.
On-line registration is open now and will close on January 18.Please review the projects listed on the Volunteer Page and pick the ones of most interest to you. Then pre-register by clicking here. Projects include:
- School Cleanups -- painting and cleanup at local public schools (ages 14+)
- Making Soup -- and delivering it to local soup kitchens (ages 14+)
- Making and Bagging Meals -- and delivering it to Meals on Wheels and homeless shelters (all ages)
- Cleaning-up Day Centers -- at local homeless shelters and boys and girls clubs (ages 14+)
- Cleaning-up Streets -- in Mt/ Airy/Germantown (ages 10+)
- Shelving Books - helping to organize a library at a school in South Philly (ages 10+)
- Playing Games -- and interacting with handicapped/senior citizens at residential facilities (ages 14+)
- Making Ceramics -- for a homeless shelter's fundraising project (ages 5+)
- Writing and mailing letters -- to support advocacy projects (ages 10+)
- Painting Murals -- for local shelters (ages 14+)
- Making Posters -- for advocacy projects (ages 14+)
- Collecting Coats -- and deliver them to local social service agencies (ages 14+)
You can pre-register for projects right now by going to our Volunteer Page and signing up for a project. Once you register, we'll be in touch with details for the day. And hurry! We'll be closing pre-registration on Saturday, Jan. 18.
One caveat: Please be aware that pre-registering does not guarantee your requested assignment. If you don't pre-register, please come to USG anyway on January 20 and we will assign you to a project..